Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Indie-mand!


Cinemalaya is just around the corner movie junkies! Don't worry if you don't know or aren't sure what its about, I'll give you the 411! Its an annual film festival in the Philippines that is supposed to "encourage the creation of new cinematic works by Filipino filmmakers".

Let's get down and dirty! Why did I talk about Cinemalaya you ask? Well, the competition brings me to the topic about (what is in my opinion) the 2nd rate, commercialized, generalized and all-the-other-ized words (you can think of) Philippine movies that claim their spot in today's limelight.

The actors are actresses are all the same people; which can be sickening to the eyes.  I mean, come on! The last role they played is still stuck in your head and here they are again acting the same as they did in their last role, just in a different movie!
They have all the same corny plots - I bet you I could tell you about the whole movie from start to end if I watch the first 5 minutes or less! - and they can't pull it off like other Asian movies.

They reuse the same corny plots.  Who funds all these movies? Who produces them? Seriously?! You didn't think having the nth part in the movie - that was just released last year - was enough? So you had to release an addition?! Even if we did love it the last 10 times, it doesn't mean it has to keep going on in the same manner! Story lines have to die too someday to create room for new ones! QUIT WASTING MONEY PEOPLE! Donate to charity or something! At least that way it would be more productive.There are so many indie movies that are so worth watching. I just don't understand how people decide to waste their money on the same movie done 10 different ways, released 100 times over. 
Watching the trailers/entries for Cinemalaya 8 just made me remember the reasons why I got into Filipino movies/television series in the first place.  They had good actors, they had stories to tell and could tell it in creative ways!  Indie movies used talents unknown to the masses but could convey the message of the movie just fine! It just bothers me so much that they are so under appreciated in so many different levels.

Wake up and smell the money burning, baby! The standard of the movie business just declined!


No comments:

Post a Comment